Ants are one of the most common pests you can expect to encounter in and around your Reno, Nevada, home. Some species threaten your health and well-being, while others are just downright difficult to deal with.
Pavement ants are the most prevalent species of ants in urban and suburban areas. They are very active during the summer and are often seen near paved areas such as sidewalks, driveways, and foundations. Pavement ants don’t pose any significant threats, but they will spread bacteria and contaminate surfaces and food. The real problem with pavement ant invasions is how quickly they can grow in numbers and how difficult they are to eradicate.
The most effective way to handle a pavement ant problem is with the help of a residential pest control service for your Reno home.
Difficulties With Pavement Ant Invasions
Pavement ants are outdoor dwellers by nature. Their preferred nesting sites place them closer to our homes than we would like them to be. Due to the proximity, pavement ants inadvertently invade our homes in search of food. The dangers associated with pavement ants may be minimal, but they will soon prove to be a great nuisance as their numbers continue to multiply. A pavement ant colony can grow upwards of 10,000 members.
If they find enough food sources to encourage them to stay, pavement ants will build satellite nests in hard-to-reach places. There’s no telling where they'll end up when they're making homes in the insulation behind your walls or underneath your flooring.
Protect your Reno property from unwanted pavement ants before they have an opportunity to move in and make themselves at home.
Pavement Ant Prevention Tips
It's helpful to know that anything resembling food will attract pavement ants into your home once they have found an accessible entry point. This includes seeds, nuts, fruit, bread, meats, dairy products, and other insects.
Following a few simple steps can make a world of difference when it comes to pavement ant invasions:
- Regularly maintain outdoor eating areas. Keep them free from food debris and any spills that aren’t water.
- Wipe down food prep and dining surfaces after each meal. Sweep or vacuum food prep and dining areas on a daily basis.
- Store food in secure, covered containers or in the refrigerator.
- Clean up after your pets when they are done eating. Store pet food in sealed containers.
- Place tight-fitting or locking lids on outdoor trash cans, recycling bins, and compost bins inside and outside. Take the trash out when needed. Remove garbage from the property on a regular basis.
- Keep your lawn short and branches or shrubbery trimmed back from your home.
- Store firewood at a safe distance from your home to limit nesting sites.
- Eliminate standing water sources in and around your property. Fix leaking faucets and pipes.
- Install or repair weather stripping, door sweeps, and screens on doors and windows.
- Examine the foundation and lower walls around the exterior of your home for holes or cracks. Be sure to seal up every little crevice that you find.
Pest prevention brings you one step closer to a pest-free home, but sometimes a little help is needed to get the job done. Eliminate your worries with the most tried-and-true solution to your pest problems: Leave it to the professionals.
Professional Pavement Ant Control
Pestmaster® Services has been committed to the health and happiness of our customers for more than 40 years. We are here to provide you with exceptional pest control that you can trust. Our team of pest management professionals will successfully eliminate any pest problems you are experiencing in and around your home. We offer a wide range of services and specialized management plans for all of your pest control needs.
Pestmaster® Services’ holistic approach to pest management provides long-term solutions that are safe, effective, and environmentally conscious. We deliver the highest quality pest control services the industry has to offer. From cutting-edge technologies to science-based products and eco-friendly IPM techniques, Pestmaster® Services has a specialized solution for every pest problem. Contact us today to find a pest management plan that works best for you!