Have you taken a moment to think about termites recently? These pests are all over the place and yet they do a great job of staying out of sight. We are here today to talk about these pests and to warn area homeowners about termite season. Here is everything you should know about the termites in Hudson Valley and what to do if they start eating your home’s wood.
When Is Termite Season In Hudson Valley?
Termite season happens when fully mature nests of termites start to produce swarmers. These winged reproductive members are created for the sake of expansion and are tasked with finding new areas to build nests and eat wood. They have everything needed to identify food on properties, start nests, and lay termite eggs. If swarmers are buzzing around your property, consider this as a sign to take action, as it doesn’t take much for these pests to decide to settle down.
How Do I Know If My Hudson Valley Home Has Termites?
We think it is important that homeowners here in Hudson Valley know how to identify termites inside their homes. To help you do this today, here are some signs of termites to keep your eye out for in and around your home.
- Overly-squeaky floorboards and staircases
- Doors and windows that are becoming harder and harder to open and shut
- Swelling wood caused by water damage
- Hollow-sounding wood that shouldn't sound hollow
- A rustling noise coming from inside your walls
- Mud tubes running up your home’s exterior foundation
- Live swarmers buzzing around inside your home
- Sagging floors or ceilings
- Water-damaged drywall, paint, and wallpaper
Something every homeowner should keep in mind is that termites do not damage homes quickly but often go unnoticed for months if not years. In order to protect your investment, you should put in place some prevention strategies now rather than wait and find out later that your home is under attack.
How To Prevent Termites In Hudson Valley
If you are confident that your home does not already have a termite infestation, take some time today to put in place some natural termite control strategies. Here are eight great options our team recommends your try.
- Remove sticks, leaves, cardboard, newspapers, and other wood or wood-based clutter from your yard.
- Remove fallen trees and dead stumps from your property.
- Eliminate sources of water build-up around your yard after it rains.
- Make sure your gutters are clean, in good repair, and properly channeling water away from your home’s foundation.
- Create a non-wood barrier between your home’s structural wood and exterior soil.
- Identify holes, gaps, and cracks in your home’s exterior foundation. Seal off these entry points using some silicone caulk.
- Use a dehumidifier inside your home to keep moisture levels down.
- Repair or replace structural wood around your home that is water-damaged, rotting, or in decay.
How Does Pestmaster® Services Get Rid Of Termites In Hudson Valley?
Because termites are difficult to identify and treat, we highly recommend that you find a professional termite control provider that has your best interests in mind. At Pestmaster® Services, we offer detailed termite identification and termite treatments to help homeowners like you handle these invasive and destructive pests. All of our methods are custom designed to fit our clients’ needs and built to stand the test of time.
Call us today if you have a termite problem or are looking for long-term prevention options for your Hudson Valley home. We will walk you through our options and schedule your property for a visit.