Bed bugs are small, flat oval-shaped insects that feed on human blood by biting the host at night. The bites of bed bugs are painless and go unnoticed until they have already had time to nestle in your bedding or clothes. When faced with a bed bug infestation many New York home and business owners decide to try to get rid of them on their own, for various reasons:
- They think it will be easier to do it themselves.
- They don't want to spend the money on a professional exterminator, thinking it's cheaper to DIY.
- They've been told by a friend or family member that they can get rid of them on their own.
Bed bugs are difficult to detect since they are nocturnal. In addition, symptoms of being bitten by bed bugs may be mistaken for other skin conditions, such as allergies or eczema. A professional is trained to use special detection tools and is familiar with symptoms that indicate bed bugs are present.
Common DIY Bed Bug Methods
Understandably, most people will turn to DIY methods to remove a bed bug infestation before hiring professional help. Here are some DIY bed bug methods:
- Spray the mattress with insecticides or soak it in soapy water.
- Apply aerosol sprays on cracks and crevices that could be harboring bed bugs.
- Wash sheets and clothes in high temperatures.
- Steam clean mattresses, beds, and sofas.
- Freeze infested items for several days. The problem with freezing is it doesn't kill eggs, only adult insects. Eggs will hatch when they thaw.
- Vacuum the bed bugs.
- Use baking soda on your mattress or furniture.
- Use ultrasonic devices that you can plug into the wall that are supposed to force bed bugs out.
- Place mothballs in bed bug-prone places.
While these DIY methods help to some degree, they can cost you hundreds of dollars, time, and aggravation and might not completely eliminate bed bugs inside your New York home.
Ultrasonic devices have little to no effect on bed bugs. Baking soda also doesn't get rid of a bed bug infestation. Many of these techniques, including mothballs, are effective for adult bed bugs, but eggs and nymphs still survive.
Reliable Bed Bug Control in New York
Pestmaster® Services guarantees complete bed bug control services. Their program includes a three-step process:
- Free Inspection: The free inspection is to identify the infestation correctly, determine the size of the infestation and how widespread it is, to guide what treatment is needed.
- Treatment: A conventional liquid treatment is used for bed bug infestations, carried out room-by-room. Items such as beds, bed frames, couches, draperies, furniture, and baseboards are treated during the service. Nuvon Pro Strips are used in places that are harder to treat with liquids, such as electronics, footwear, mattresses, in crawl spaces, basements, and dumpsters for severe infestations. These strips work by releasing a vapor that eliminates bed bugs.
- Follow-up: Only one treatment is necessary in most cases to eliminate a bed bug problem. However, with severe infestations, follow-up treatments will be provided.
Compared to the cost and time associated with DIY methods, professional pest control services are better at getting rid of a total infestation permanently in a cost-effective way.
Contact Pestmaster® Services Hudson Valley today to learn more about our extensive and effective bed bug control options.