Now that summertime is in full swing, spending time outdoors is often the best way to have fun. Whether it's enjoying a BBQ or hanging out by the pool, no one wants to have to deal with mosquitoes when they go out in the yard.
While most people can't stand mosquitoes because of the itchy bites they leave, mosquitoes are actually much more dangerous than many people realize. They are actually one of the world's most dangerous animals. This is because they carry and spread many diseases including some very deadly ones like the Zika virus and Malaria. While not every mosquito carries diseases, it's still important to avoid bites.
Mosquitoes are rather notorious for being annoying and difficult to get rid of, but it can be easy to mistake them for other flying insects that look similar.
So, we've listed a brief guide on the characteristics of mosquitoes in the area:
- They are usually a grey color, but they can have a variety of markings.
- They have translucent wings and iridescent scales.
- They have a long, thin nose-like appendage that the females use to suck blood.
- Their legs are particularly long and thin.
Why Do Mosquitoes Seem To Bite Some People Over Others?
While no one wants a mosquito bite, some people have the misfortune more often than others. As odd as it seems, some individuals are just more attractive than others to these dangerous pests.
Trying to keep mosquitoes from biting you can be difficult, and every factor that attracts a mosquito to one person over another isn’t always known.
However, there are a few things that could be attracting mosquitoes to you to be aware of:
- Wearing dark-colored clothing makes you more visible to mosquitoes as it stands out against the lighter background.
- Being pregnant makes mosquitoes more likely to bite you.
- Having type O blood type is also a factor that increases mosquito activity.
- Drinking alcohol or being sweaty can alert mosquitoes to your presence and make you a more likely target.
Ways To Prevent Mosquito Bites
Completely getting rid of mosquitoes can be especially hard, and even prevention methods aren’t always super effective. However, some factors make mosquitoes more likely and increase your chances of getting bitten.
So, to help reduce those factors, here are some things you can do to deter them.
- Wearing light-colored clothing.
- Avoid going outside around dusk when mosquitoes are most active.
- Avoid areas with standing water as they are more likely to have high mosquito populations.
- Don’t wear sweet-smelling perfumes.
- Remove standing water on your property and trim excess vegetation where mosquitoes rest in the day.
- Clean gutters regularly.
- Make sure that pools and other water features like fountains get treated with the proper chemicals.
- Get help from professional pest control experts.
Protect Your Home And Family From Mosquitoes
Mosquitoes are without a doubt one of the most frustrating pests to deal with and one of the hardest to get rid of completely. Taking some steps to prevent them can help, but the most effective way to both deter and control mosquitoes around your Hudson Valley home is to contact the experts at Pestmaster® Services. We look forward to working with you to provide innovative and sustainable solutions. Learn more about our mosquito control options, and get a free quote, by calling us today.