Bed bugs are one of those pests that give people goosebumps just from hearing the name. Bed bugs are quite common in areas like Richmond due to the high volume of people that live and travel through the area. A bed bug infestation is never something to mess around with, so Pestmaster® Services wants to help people in Richmond be aware of what to do in the case of a bed bug infestation.
The Basics About Bed Bugs
Bed bugs are blood-sucking insects that bite and feed on humans, pets, poultry, livestock, and other warm-blooded animals they happen to take notice of. Bed bugs and humans have coexisted for thousands of years, and bed bugs can be found in homes, businesses, hotels, schools, libraries, public transportation, retail establishments, and more. Bed bugs travel well, meaning they are great at hopping onto luggage, clothing, linens, furniture, bedsheets, and more to enter your home and then move around it once they're in. Getting rid of bed bugs is one of the most difficult household pest infestations to beat.
Why Bed Bug Infestations Start
Bed bugs love people and are found everywhere people are. Like most other household pests, they are seeking out food, warmth, and shelter. Bed bugs are quite adaptable and can survive very high and very low temperatures and can go months without a meal of blood. Females lay up to five eggs every day, and nymphs mature in just 21 days on average. An infestation can be hard to prevent; according to the National Pest Management Association’s 2018 Bugs Without Borders research, bed bugs are mostly found in single-family homes, apartments/condos, and hotels/motels.
What Do Bed Bugs Look Like?
- Bed bugs are quite small, adults only reach about 1/4 of an inch in size.
- Bed bugs are oval, with six legs and two antennae. They become longer and swollen when fed.
- Adult bed bugs can be detected by the human eye.
- Nymph bed bugs are clear and very hard to see.
- Adult bed bugs are a deep shade of brown, and reddish-brown after feeding.
Signs Of Bed Bugs
There are a few things to look out for that can be signs of a bed bug infestation:
- Bed bugs will bite humans and pets. These tiny bites can swell and itch.
- Bed bugs leave tiny brown spots of fecal matter behind. They will show up on beds, clothing, linens, walls, furniture, etc.
- Dead bed bugs, molted skins, empty eggs, or live bed bugs are all signs of a bed bug infestation.
How To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs – Call the Professionals At Pestmaster® Services
Getting rid of bed bugs is tricky and must be done quickly once an infestation is suspected. Bed bug control and removal are best left to the professionals, and often treatment may be needed more than once to fully rid a home of the blood-hungry bed bug.
A bed bug infestation is never good news. Pestmaster® Services is here to help; call us today to get rid of bed bugs in your Richmond home. We serve all commercial, residential, and government pest control needs in the greater Richmond area. Pestmaster® Services is proud to protect customers from common pests while using sustainable, eco-friendly solutions.