Cockroaches are one of the most challenging pests to prevent. However, their prevention and control are essential because they are destructive and dangerous. Cockroaches inhabit places like sewers and dumpsters where they pick up pathogens that can cause diseases such as gastroenteritis, cholera, dysentery, salmonella, e.coli, leprosy, typhoid fever, and more. This pest is also known to eat furniture, books, and materials that make up homes.
Suffice to say, no one wants cockroaches in or around their Syracuse home. The best place to start is to establish if you have a problem already. To do this, you should look for the following signs:
- Dark smear markings alone walls where cockroaches are most active
- A damp and unpleasant odor
- Droppings that look like black pepper or coffee grounds
- Dark egg capsules and shed skin
- Damage to food packaging and other materials in your home
If you see any of the signs listed above or see cockroaches scurrying around your home, you should take immediate action. However, even if you don’t notice any signs but want to ensure cockroaches don’t move into your Syracuse home, there are several things you can do.
Where To Start If There Are No Signs Of An Infestation
If there are no signs of a problem yet, a good place to start prevention is with a deep clean of your property. Cockroaches love clutter, which allows them to hide in your home without being noticed. Here are several deep cleaning prevention tips for beginning with:
- Clean the often forgotten places like under heavy appliances and in the back of the cupboard
- Store opened food properly; air-tight containers are best
- Use garbage bins that have a tight-fitting lid
Cockroaches can survive off the smallest crumbs, so you should sweep floors and wipe down surfaces daily. If you suspect there could be cockroaches in your home, you should disinfect surfaces because cockroaches can contaminate food and surfaces making people sick.
How To Stop Attracting Cockroaches
While the tips listed above are an excellent place to start with prevention, many other factors could be attracting cockroaches to your home and allowing them to get inside. To reduce these factors, you should:
Address Moisture Issues:
- Fix any leaks
- Clear gutters and downspouts
- Use dehumidifiers in basements, crawlspaces, and garages
- Ensure your home has proper ventilation
Remove Potential Entry Points:
- Seal cracks in the foundation and exterior walls
- Place screens on all doors and windows as well as weather stripping
- Fill in holes around window and door frames
The tips listed above help keep cockroaches from entering but not eliminate an active infestation. To accomplish that, you will need to seek professional expertise.
Where To Start If There Are Signs Of An Infestation
If you see cockroaches or signs around your Syracuse property, the best thing to do is contact the professionals at Pestmaster® Services immediately. We offer a customizable approach to residential pest control. This approach allows all our customers to choose the best plan for their specific pest control and budgetary needs. No matter what services are best for you, you can expect a detailed inspection of your home to understand what pest we are dealing with, why the pest is attracted to your home, and how the pest is getting in.
To learn more about how the experts at Pestmaster® Services can assist you with cockroaches, give us a call today!