One positive thing about our freezing cold New York winters is that they keep the roach population down. Hey, we’ve got to look on the bright side, especially when they outnumber humans at a ratio of seven to one. Pestmaster® Services is in the business of making that ratio a lot lower.
Description Of Area Cockroaches
- American cockroach - They are the largest roach in the United States, measuring up to two inches long. Their bodies are brown with a yellowish figure eight marking. They can fly short distances.
- Brown banded cockroach - These guys measure about ½ inch. They have a dark brown body with light color bands or stripes. The males will fly when disturbed, the females cannot fly.
- German cockroach -These are tan or light brown with a slightly metallic sheen. They measure at ¾ inches. They have wings, but do not fly.
- Oriental cockroach (a.k.a. waterbugs) - Males and females differ slightly in size, but both have shiny black bodies with wings and cannot fly. About one inch in length, and known for the stinky odor they secrete.
Roaches carry some nasty germs as they scamper across your counter and on your food. Salmonellosis, E.coli infection, and giardia are just a few of the illnesses they spread. Also, they are known to be an asthma and allergy trigger for many people. According to the EPA, children are more susceptible to cockroach allergies than adults. Prevention is the key to avoiding these issues. They are also incredibly resilient. Did you know that if you try to kill one by washing it down the drain, it will just come back? Why? Because they can hold their breath for 40 minutes! They can also live for a whole week without their head. That’s just weird.
Why Do They Come In?
There are a few ways a wayward roach can find its way into your home, and it won’t be long before they begin to breed.
- They can be brought in unknowingly via a cardboard box or a piece of second-hand furniture. They may even hitch a ride in your purse or suitcase.
- If you live in an apartment or duplex, it’s as simple as crawling through the wall from the adjacent dwelling.
- Cracks in walls, defective door sweeps, and widows with damaged or missing screens may be entry points.
None of the above entry methods for a cockroach are based on a dirty home. However, if your home tends to be unkempt and full of clutter, the roaches will be free to breed exponentially. A never-ending food source and plenty of places to freely roam is a roach paradise. Roaches like to stay put once they find a cozy spot to hunker down, and since their nests are deep in the walls, basements, and under the flooring of your home, they feel safe enough to start a maternity ward inside your home. A female roach can produce up to 300 babies a year. Hard to get rid of is an understatement.
Can DIY Methods Keep Them Away?
You can try. There are so many different products for roaches on the market, that you will spend days researching the best and safest methods. From traps to liquid concentrates, from granules to boric acid, these are all temporary solutions. Locating and targeting the nesting areas are difficult for the average DIYer. These products are caustic, and need to be handled correctly so that your loved ones are not adversely affected.
Get Rid Of Them For Good
Pestmaster® Services are verified ecologically friendly, and we have a fully certified Associate Certified Entomologist on staff to know exactly what type of roach infestation you're dealing with. Give us a call today for a free estimate of our cockroach services for your Syracuse property